The Admission Interview! This is an integral part of the B-School admissions process. The interview can take place on campus or off campus.
The personal interview is the last door that you have to open to enter the B-school of your choice. Some people have more mental fear to face the personal interview. Despite months of preparation all will end up if you don’t face your interview well, no one can predict the questions you’ll have to face in your personal interview. But there are a few questions that are most commonly asked in the personal interviews by most B-schools
Personal Interview for MBA admissions:
The interview is very important, and unlike other admission requirements, it cannot be rewritten or retaken and is your one and only chance to make a good impression. Do your home-work well as preparation is the key to success.
If you will be attending an on campus or off campus interview try and get a friend to play the part of the interviewer face to face in the same room. If you are attending a telephone interview find out from the business school whether this will be a video call (via Skype) or a traditional phone call. Simulate the call with a friend over the phone or via Skype.
Commonly asked MBA selection Interview Questions are:
- Tell us something about yourself.
Do you know yourself? Is a commonly asked question, you can go off track as you may have lot to say of oneself.Everyone loves their own achievements but a KISS(KISS-keep it short and sweet) should be the answer.
- Where do you see yourself 5 to10 years from now?
This is the mission statement, only if we have a goal we can achieve it.We need to dream and work on it to add wings. So an ideal vision has to be expressed in a genuine and attainable manner.
- What are your strengths & weaknesses?
Come up with a genuine weakness and then quickly move on to talking about how you strive to tackle it and take it to your advantage. Interviewer is aware that no one is perfect so trying to outsmart the recruiter here is a bad idea.SWOT Analysis is a useful technique for understanding your Strengths and Weaknesses, and for identifying both the Opportunities open to you and the Threats you face.
- Why MBA?
- Career Objectives
- Value Addition
- Background:This is where you connect your past to your future.
- Opportunities and Rewards:Tailor-made answers to why would be attractive and If you are a fresher, your answer could be that an MBA would be your ideal launch pad into the corporate world of opportunities.
Current and Business awareness should be there to show that you are updated
- Why do you want to join this B-school?
Knowledge about the institution’s history, its flag-ship programs, ranking, placement records, faculty members, college’s academic & extra-curricular activities etc. would be an extra feather in your cap. Your answer should reflect that you’ve done your homework well & that you’re keen to pursue your management degree from that particular B-school.
Basic etiquettefor a face to face interview
- Be Punctual:be early and never late.
- When you enter: ask for permission to enter & softly close the door behind you.
- Greetings: Make sure you make eye-contact with everyone. Wait till you’re asked to be seated. Thank them when the offer to sit is made.
- Dress Right: first impression is the best impression. Your attire should display confidence & maturity. Well-tailored, ironed clothes, and most important don’t forget to wear a smile!
- Be Confident: act confident. But make sure that you don’t go over-board. The interviewers may grill you to check how you handle stress. Maintain your cool throughout.
- Mind your Body Language: Sit upright & keep your chin up. Maintain eye-contact with all the panel members as you speak. Don’t talk to just one person throughout.
- When You Speak:Be clear. Be concise. Be honest. Don’t talk too loudly or softly.
- In the End:Thank your board as you get up to leave. Put your chair back in position. Close the door gently behind you as you exit.
Make definite you present yourself in a professional manner, in both your actions and your appearance.Questions about the Course you are pursuing or pursued, related to your Profession and lots more can be asked as it’s an open forum and let up to the interviewers to decide. But with a proper effort nothing is impossible. Above all remember to be confident, and clearly highlight your accomplishments and why you are a perfect fit for that business school.